A Photo History of the McGill Family Farm
Photo 1: The McGill family home was built sometime between 1840 and 1845 on the upper ridges of the Garden’s property. The home’s building materials—bricks and lumber—were made from materials gathered on the property. The original home was built in an L shape, with three large rooms on the first floor and 3 bedrooms on the second floor, each including a fireplace for warmth. A frame addition was built onto the back of the house at a later date to provide a more modern kitchen, a bathroom and a storage room. The McGill family left the farm in 1972, at which time the County took it over. The property was rented for a time, then abandoned. The house fell into disrepair and was torn down sometime between 1988 and 1999.
Photo 2: William McGill III built this modern chicken coop in the 1950s.
Photo 3: William McGill III and his daughters, Peggy and Beth, in the 1950s, with the chicken coop behind.
Photo 4: Oliver McGill, father of William III, working the land with a team in the 1930s.
Photo 5: William III, Beth and chickens, 1930s.
Photo 6: The second floor of the coop was one large pen. The first floor included a double garage, egg processing room and furnace room.
Photo 7: Three generations of McGills: William Sr., with grandson William III seated on his lap, Blanche (wife of Oliver) and Oliver, son of William Sr.
Photo 8: The McGill farm in the 1950s.