Seasonal Gardener Job Description
Duration: April 1 – October 31
Application deadline: until filled
Hours: typically a 40-hour/week position
As part of the Garden’s growing team, we are seeking a Seasonal Gardener who will tend the Garden’s living plant collections and horticultural displays. This position assists in building gardens and maintaining plants and gardens. The Seasonal Gardener plays a key role in the appearance of Pittsburgh Botanic Garden through their energetic attention to detail, technical skills and creativity.
This dedicated and reliable individual will bring horticultural knowledge and professional gardening talent to the Garden, implement best stewardship practices, and assist Garden staff with achieving exceptional standards for garden maintenance. Excellent communication skills, respect and integrity are required.
This position reports to the Horticulture and Facilities Director, is supervised by the Display Horticulturists, and works closely with other Garden staff members. Clearances are required before start date.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform general garden maintenance such as watering, pruning, planting, mulching and weeding of the permanent and seasonal plantings.
- Monitor pests and diseases and follows appropriate Integrated Pest Management strategies.
- Operate equipment such as utility vehicles as well as standard garden power tools such as mowers, string trimmers, blowers and tillers.
- As needed, complete non-horticultural projects that support the Garden’s mission and development.
- Motivate and assists volunteers in the maintenance of gardens and landscapes, including record keeping and proper plant identification.
- Occasionally assist with special events and other customer service tasks.
- Weekend duties will include caring for the Garden’s small flock of chickens (training provided).
Experience and Qualifications
- Four-year degree in horticulture or related field, or equivalent combination of training, skills and experience
- Two to four years of experience in the field of horticulture, public garden experience preferred
- Knowledge and/or experience in the following areas: arboriculture, PA native plants, perennials, fruit trees, container displays, and the common landscape plants of USDA zones 5 and 6
- Demonstrated skills in collaboration and creative problem-solving
- Strength in oral and written communications and the ability to manage multiple tasks
- A passionate commitment to the mission and purpose of the Garden
- Proficient with equipment used in the horticultural trade, including hand tools and small engine equipment
- Ability to follow directions and willing to learn “PBG” best practices
- Non-exempt hourly position. Typically, this is a 40-hour position.
- Entry-level position; responsibilities and compensation will increase with demonstrated ability.
- Hours are 7 am to 3:30 pm on Mondays through Fridays and 8:45 am to 5:15 pm on weekends.
- Weekends are required on a rotating basis.
- Flexible hours will occasionally be required for Garden-related functions.
- Primarily outdoor physical work in all weather conditions with occasional work at special events. Rain and cold weather clothing will be necessary. Boots are required.
- Must be able to traverse moderate to difficult site conditions related to Garden topography.
- Ability to lift 50 pounds.
- Cell phones and ear buds/headphones may not be used during work hours unless for emergencies or work purposes, this includes taking photos, listening to podcasts & music.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Pittsburgh Botanic Garden provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Pittsburgh Botanic Garden complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Email submissions only. Please send cover letter, resume and two professional references to email@example.com. All candidate submissions should be combined in a single PDF with applicant’s name in the file name. Please do not include information in email text, but include important information for consideration in cover letter content. Do not make multiple submissions. No phone calls please.