Events and Guest Relations Assistant Job Description
Duration: Seasonal Part-time position (non-exempt)
Application deadline: Until position is filled
The Events and Guest Relations Assistant will assist guests who come to the Garden as part of general admission, group tours, and private events to ensure an overall positive guest experience.
Duties include, but are not limited, the following:
Admissions-Welcome Desk and Gift Shop
- Greet visitors and guests in a friendly and attentive way and address their needs promptly including the processing of admissions, gift shop sales, memberships, class and event registrations
- Answer and route calls and emails appropriately
- Ensure that the Welcome Center is clean and in order at the end of each shift, per provided checklist
- Remain current on upcoming activities, fundraisers, and Garden development
- Maintain knowledge of membership levels and benefits
- Adhere to PBG Customer Service guidelines, policies, and procedures
- Ensure constant coverage of the station in which you are assigned
- Communicate clearly and effectively with a diverse group of stakeholders, guests, and patrons
- Assist with inventory, ordering, and restocking print material, merchandise, and supplies
- Perform other duties as assigned to support Garden operations, assisting in the cafe if needed
- Assist with answering initial inquiries and general questions of prospective clients
- Work closely with the events team to plan, market, and organize special events
- Ensure that the event areas are clean and in order prior to each event, per provided checklist
- Ensure that all pre-event procedures are followed as outlined in the executed rental agreements
- Direct or escort contracted vendors and guests to events
- Assist with the management of the inventory of event supplies
- Perform other duties as assigned to support internal and private events
- Assist Event Sales Manager/Coordinator with wedding ceremonies, execution of event timeline, and other duties as assigned per event
Experience and Qualifications
- The ideal candidate will have previous experience in customer service or event operations, ability to troubleshoot in a fast-paced environment.
- Minimum requirements include high school diploma or equivalent; satisfactory completion of a required background check; ability to communicate clearly and tactfully; CPR certification and first aid training a plus. Demonstrated skills in collaboration and creative problem-solving
- The ability to manage multiple tasks.
- Must be reliable and be able to work independently.
- High attention to detail and willingness to learn
- A passionate commitment to the mission and purpose of the Garden.
Seasonal Part-time position (non-exempt). Typically, this is 15-25 hours per workweek and hours fluctuate seasonally
- Flexible hours will be required for Garden related functions and occasional holidays, weekdays, and evenings
- This position will include general office work and assisting the events department in the setup and execution of events.
- Must be able to work outdoor environment and all weather conditions
- Accommodate a flexible work schedule that includes weekday, evening, weekend and occasional holiday availability. Most private rentals take place Friday – Sunday
- Must be able to stand for extended periods of time
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 50 pounds
Equal Opportunity Employer
Pittsburgh Botanic Garden provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Pittsburgh Botanic Garden complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Email submissions only. Please send a cover letter, resume, and two professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org. All candidate submissions should be combined in a single PDF with the applicant’s name in the file name. Please do not include information in email text, but include important information for consideration in cover letter content. Do not make multiple submissions. No phone calls, please.