Food Service Assistant Job Description
Duration: Regular Part-time position (Non-exempt)
Application deadline: Until position is filled
As part of the Garden’s growing team, the Food Service Assistant will assist café patrons to ensure a positive guest experience.
This position reports to the Events and Guest Relations Director, is supervised by the Event Sales Manager, and works closely with other Garden staff members.
Duties include, but not limited to:
- Support the daily operations of the café
- Take food and beverage orders, process orders and payment transactions
- Communicate effectively and possess a polite and pleasant demeanor
- Prepare orders with high attention to detail and is attentive to customer requests
- Work alone as well as part of a team
- Operate a POS system, as well as other mechanical skills
- Maintain a basic understanding of dietary restrictions and menu ingredients
- Have knowledge of foodservice safety and hygiene
- Adhere to PBG Customer Service guidelines, policies, and procedures
- Stock product and displays
- Ensure the cleanliness of front and back of house
- Perform other duties as assigned to support Garden operations
Experience and Qualifications
- The ideal candidate will have previous experience in customer service or foodservice operations.
- Minimum requirements include high school diploma or equivalent; satisfactory completion of a required background check; ability to communicate clearly and tactfully; CPR certification and first aid training a plus. Demonstrated skills in collaboration and creative problem-solving
- Must complete Serve Safe Certification upon hiring
- The ability to manage multiple tasks.
- Must be reliable and be able to work independently.
- High attention to detail and willingness to learn
- A passionate commitment to the mission and purpose of the Garden.
Regular part-time position (Non-exempt). Typically, this is 15-25 hours per workweek and hours fluctuate seasonally.
- Flexible hours will be required for Garden related functions and occasional holidays, weekdays, evenings, and weekends.
- The position will include pay for pro-rated holidays, vacation, and sick time.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds.
- Must be able to stand for extended periods of time and work in all weather conditions
Equal Opportunity Employer
Pittsburgh Botanic Garden provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Pittsburgh Botanic Garden complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Email submissions only. Please send a cover letter, resume, and two professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org. All candidate submissions should be combined in a single PDF with the applicant’s name in the file name. Please do not include information in email text, but include important information for consideration in cover letter content. Do not make multiple submissions. No phone calls, please.